Who Are You?






 

I feel like everyone has a way of defining themselves. Usually people try to cherry pick the best answers, kind of like brushing up your resume... We make embellishments to sound better than we really are. We define ourselves by our greatest achievements, occupations...stuff we are really good at. Some of us define ourselves by race, sexual orientation, marital status, or even physical appearance. 

But what does the question, "Who am I?" mean for the Christian? Of course, many religious people define themselves by their religion. You can find Muslims, Buddhists, Jehova Witnesses, Jews, all living their lives in accordance to rules, customs, and traditions of their beliefs. But the question for the Christian changes. It no longer is, Who are you, but "Who are you... in Christ?” 

Suddenly, it's not just about me. It's about this other guy, and He's a really good guy. Perfect, in fact. And and by the way, He's God. 

 This question leaves me scrambling. If I am honest, the deeper I search myself, the less answers I have...or ones I just don't like. I have always had a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of my identity being in Christ. After all, I don’t want to come across as a Jesus Freak…completely unreal, completely unapproachable, holier than thou, boring, and worst of all a hypocrite. Trust me when I say, you don’t want to see the skeletons in my closet.   It means facing the worst parts of myself, the worst parts of what I have done. 

If I’m completely honest, I'm afraid. 

But here’s the thing… There aren't a lot of options. In fact, for the true believer, there is only one identity.  “For I am crucified with Christ…it is no longer I who live, it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in this body, I live by faith in the Son of God ,who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

He gave all. He asks for all.  

No buts. No compromises. Everything I am, by right, belongs to Him. He bought me with his own death.…He gets it all; not just my life, but my very IDENTITY.

“For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.”

It means total relinquishment of Lydia. I cease to exist, and I become known as Christ. He dwells within my heart (Eph 3:17) I am clothed with Christ (Romans 13:14) I have the mind of Christ, (1 Corinthians 2:16) Even my physical body becomes His temple (1 Cor. 6:19) 

And so what?... Is that really such a bad thing? Trading my life and my identity for Jesus's? Jesus walked the earth as a teacher, healer, and friend.  Jesus, the guy who reached out and touched a leper, the most feared and loathed of all people, with his bare hands. He hung out with liars and tax collectors and fallen women....those despised by society. Jesus, the man who challenged the leaders of the law that were oppressing the poor and living for their own gain. Jesus, who showed compassion for the poor, the sick, the desolate, the rejected! The night He knew He was going to die, and He spent it washing the dirty feet of his disciples. Jesus, the perfect man, God incarnate, gave Himself for all humanity, and He offers to trade His identity for mine. And the more that I spend time with Him, and surrender to His Lordship over my life, the more like Him I become. So I could start loving unlovable people. And helping change lives for the better. And living a life that makes a difference and brings joy and healing, and ultimately people to Him.... I can choose that or I can choose me. 



And....Who am I, exactly?  I’m a sassy redhead. I’m a sister, a daughter, a goddaughter. I’m a dog mama. I’m a girl that loves adventure. I’m a world explorer. I’m an English teacher. I have two college degrees. I've lived in other countries, so I'm cultureed.  I’m a CDLA license holder... . I’m a great friend. I’m loyal. I’m outgoing. I’m compassionate. I'm generous. I'm....

.... I'm stressed a lot of times. I tend to be anxious. And I've never used my CDLA, because I can't handle the anxiety every time I get in a truck. I do have 2 college degrees, but I haven't used either of them.  I'm kind of awkward, so even though I am very loyal and a great friend, I don't have many friends.   I'm unforgiving. I’m a failure. I’m confused. I'm selfish. I'm volatile.  I'm lazy.   I'm rejected. I'm nothing. I'm nobody. 

When we are honest with ourselves about who we really are, it stings. One man might say, I'm a great provider for my family, in order to avoid the truth which is that he's a lousy husband and father. Another person might say, "I'm the life of the party," to avoid acknowledging she's an alcoholic. When we dig down, our identities are usually not that great without a Savior to redeem us. It's true for all people, because all people are in need of a savior.

Christ is what changes me. And the change is scary, but it is wonderful.... I'm given a new identity as a child of God. Chosen and dearly loved, I am full of love myself.  I'm forgiven! I’m not rejected or worthless.  I’m full of life! Triumphant!  Liberated, I'm free!  The more I give myself to Him and let Him become my identity, the more I am like Him, the less I am like me!

 Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. I give not as the world gives." The world can promise a lot of things, but there is NOTHING like what Jesus promises. 












Comments

Popular Posts