Shaun White Shows Love to His Fans


There's a lot of negative publicity going on ever since Shaun White's amazing triumph. No surprise, as today it seems like everyone out there loves to hate on anyone they possibly can, especially people that succeed. So I decided to share my amazing experience to spread a little positivity to the world.

My introduction to Shaun White and snowboarding (I grew up in the warm South) is in 2005, when Shaun is just a 19 year old kid on the documentary, First Decent.  At this point, He isn't a gold medalist; he just loves snowboarding and is amazing at it. After watching the movie, I become a fan for life.

Not only is he an incredible athlete, but he is also a person that refuses to let anything stop him from fulfilling his dreams. This is a time when everyone wants to make excuses for failure and blame everyone else for their problems.  But despite the hardships Shaun has faced throughout his life and continues to face, he doesn't let anything keep him from fulfilling his dreams. I admire Shaun; he is inspiring. And despite the incredible fame and success, he manages to stay down to earth.

Also...snowboarding is badass.

When I discover that White intends to compete in the Olympics here in Korea, I buy tickets and plan my trip. I even make a giant poster with his face on it in Photoshop so I can cheer for the only athlete I have ever cared about. I tell everyone I am going to meet Shaun and get my poster signed. It is going to be the perfect day.




Photo Credit: Sam Mellish
Watching Shaun in that third and final run is exhilarating. I can't talk or breathe from screaming so much. The only thing left to make this day perfect is getting my autograph.  We wait while Shaun does one interview after another.

photo by Kara Biernat WTHR

photo by Lydia Phillips

30 minutes. 1 hour. 1 hour and 45 minutes. All of a sudden, one of the guys in charge moves the perimeter gates so that Shaun would not be able to come the same way the other snowboarders did. Now there is this huge gaping space between the fans still waiting to meet him and where he would come by. Even if he wanted to, there is no way he could meet any of us.  I feel myself getting mad...Why would they do this? Our shoes are soaked with icy cold water. My friend has to go to the bathroom so bad she feels like she will pass out. Still we wait. Finally, Shaun is finished with his interviews and is walking by. He's smiling and waving at us across the way.

 "Shaun, please PLEASE sign my poster." I stretch my arms as far as I can to pass my 3 foot poster to him. He stretches his arms out as far as he can to grab it. I try to pass my marker but it falls and a media person hands it to him. He starts to sign, then he stops and looks up and announces to everyone's amazement, "No! I'm coming over there!"




Everyone begins screaming as he moves the gate and brings me my poster. He gives a loud yell of excitement! Then to everyone's astonishment, he starts tearing up and grabbing his fans in big bear hugs.  "Thank you guys! Thanks for waiting, thanks for cheering!" he says while high-fiving everyone. He signs my poster, Brooke's USC gamecock flag and Emma's plush bear. He takes a selfie with an Asian girl. He hugs a few more people. He takes a quick selfie with me as he says, "I gotta run."


    




People went out of their way to ensure that we would not get to talk to Shaun White. But despite their best efforts, he made it happen! A lot of people get so caught up in stardom that they lose sight of themselves and start to think they are better than others. Shaun just isn't like that.

Thanks for caring about your fans, Shaun White! Your success is our success! Thanks for making my perfect day epic! OR...in the words of Barney...




Ecstatic with my signed poster!


Our Shaun White Cheering Club from L-R Brooke, Me, Sherri, Emma.



Comments

  1. Such an epic day! It was awesome meeting you, Brooke, Daniel, Ferguson, Arielle, and SHAUN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forget this Valentine's Day. It's an answer to some heartfelt praying & ended up being more amazing than I could have imagined. I got to see a dream of your heart realized, and I am so grateful there are people like Shaun White who have a big heart and are willing to extend love and gratitude to others. The pictures and video you and your friends captured are breathtaking, and I will remember this day in thankfulness for the rest of my life. Thank you for writing such a wonderful blog and sharing your experiences with us. Love you, little sis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts