An Oldie, but a Goodie

As I scrolled through my blog (I lost my password a long time ago) I discovered I had a few drafts that I never completed for some reason or another (laziness! i hate uploading photos). I came across this one and decided to go ahead and publish it. It's actual date is September 2010, so if there's any confusion, that is why. :)

Shakespeare? in KOREA?!


whatever I might have expected in my time spent in Korea, being part of an expat theatre community was something i definitely did not foresee, especially a Shakespearean company. to many people, Shakespeare is very difficult to understand, much less perform. but theatre has always been a passion of mine and getting involved has been an amazing experience. most of the relationships I have found in korea were formed while working with people and doing continuous rehearsals together. it's been such a blessing to be able to be apart of this beautiful art again.

IT STARTED WITH A LITTLE SHAKESPEARE READING:

before coming to korea, i never had any experience with shakespeare. there was a reading of shakespeare at a local pub and i gathered my courage (gulp) and went to participate. facing my fears was what living in korea was all about and taking that one step opened the door to a new world of theatre. the group had been invited to perform at the haebongchon festival and lindsey, the girl coordinating it, (she ended up becoming one of my closest friends in seoul) was looking for people to participate so i signed up.
we performed 3 big scenes from julius caesar and i was double cast as calpurnia, caesar's hysterical wife and also as cena, one of the assassins that murders him. we had a great cast and it was a lot of fun.

After our original performance at the Haebong Chon festival we were asked to do an encore performance at this huge outdoor ampitheatre in sindorium. i think all of us were a little worried that people might not come, but there was an excellent turn out thanks to the KOREA TIMES that wrote an article about us after our performance at Haebong Chong. The performance was free but people gave donations afterwards because they enjoyed it so much. Check it out:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2010/06/175_67287.html



Yelling "Freedom" as Cena, one of the assassins. I'm not in the other assassin pictures because I was taking the pictures:)

These photos were taken by a friend in the audience during our performance at Sindorim:

"Alas my lord, your wisdom is consumed in confidence."


"Upon my knee let me prevail in this"

"For thy humour, I will stay at home."

"the senate have concluded To give this day a crown to mighty Caesar."







with kevin, our very talented directed


a few weeks ago, Actors without Bard'ers performed our Summer of love, "shakespeare's love, sex and romance". Performers all over Korea came together to perform different scenes of love from Shakespeares comedies and tragedies. Scenes from Romeo and Juliet, Othello and several others were performed as well as our main feature, A Midsummer Night's Dream. There were 6 actors that performed the parts of the four lovers and the two fairies, Oberon and Puck. i played helena, one of the lovers. it was a huge part and rehearsing and performing this roll was by far one of the funnest experiences I have had in Korea.














our whole cast consisted of about 30 people and everyone did an amazing job. for many of us, it was the first time that we had been in a real theatre since college. it was an awesome experience
.

Comments

Popular Posts