Shakespeare and Indian Food

i found the greatest discovery since i've been in seoul...a theatre for expats. woo-hoo! i'm in heaven! well...ok maybe not heaven but i'm convinced that shakespeare is in heaven and will be putting on at least 2 shows a year. anyway, so the small theatre is a mix of trained thesbians and directors as well as expats with no theatre background..and they were performing various scenes from shakespeare's greatest plays.

not a lot of people enjoy the arts, and seeing as i don't really know anyone in seoul, i was pretty much on my own. i work at a school with a lot of teachers, half korean and half westerners. they are all very nice people, but not really open to hanging out with the new foreign teacher (that's me). so if i was going to see this play, i was going to have to venture out of my little neighborhood into the vast unknown which meant taking the subway...eeeekkk!!! i'll admit, i procrastinated all day and barely made it. i have been on the subway two times since i arrived and...it's scary. the map looks like a big spider web of different color threads. but i did it. i forced myself to go and then stared at the big map for about 10 minutes. eventually, i picked the right subway and found myself in itaewon, the land where all the expats gather. seriously, i have never been so excited to see so many westerners...ok...native English speakers because Europeans, Australians, ect are not westerners, i get it. but hey! i'm american and everyone knows we are convinced we are the center of the universe. so if you speak english, you must be american right? (i kid kid)

the play was on the top floor of Roofers, a pub/restaurant. by time i got there, the place was already packed. i managed to find a seat towards the back, right behind the tallest man in asia. oh great. 10,000 won to see the back of a guys head. can't wait. seated next to me were two asian guys, one is a native, doo, and derrek, who is chinese canadian. (his parents are from hong kong but i don't know how you say that...hong kongian?) anyway, they switched seats with me so that i could see.

the show was pretty good. shakespeare is pretty hard to follow if you aren't familiar with it to begin with. there were no transitions between the scenes so it did get confusing. the best scenes were from Midsummer. my favorite play by shakespeare and the actors did such an incredible job.

afterwards, doo and derrik and i went and ate indian food at a restaurant nearbye. it was a buffet and everything was delicious but the hummus. don't try the hummus guys, you will be vastly disappointed.

afterwards, doo offered to give me a ride on his motorcycle (i didn't know three people could fit on a motorcycle) and so i had my first ride ever. as we were going, i kept wanting to close my eyes, but then i would think, no, because if we crash, i want to know how. haha. it was a fun night and i'm very glad i went.

Comments

  1. Next time you find a show I want to come along!!! 'Twould be glorious!

    Also, I told someone that I would kill for some hummus the other day. I was sad that I couldn't find chickpeas in Emart, because I'm fairly certain I could find the rest of the ingredients here. Anyways I want this hummus... how bad can it really be?! ;)
    ♥Angie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts